Skip to main content

Interview With Michael Desiderius: Former Liberal Arts Professor

Note to reader: In addition to working very closely with Dr. Desiderius for years, I did and still do count him as the dearest of friends. We are open and direct with each other, as this interview will show. He left the academy a few years ago because, in his words, there was no longer a point to teaching. I also interview him about fifteen years ago, and sadly he has become "more jaded" (his words, not mine). This interview is equal parts, cautionary tale, reflection on the wonders and purpose of the liberal arts, and the deep sadness of a spurned lover. I can attest that there was a time when Professor Desiderius was passionate about humane learning.

Robert Woods: It is always a joy to converse with you and I appreciate your time, as I know you are busy.

Michael Desiderius: I use to be busy, when I was teaching, now I finally know leisure.

RW: Well, I thought we would have a few moments before you took a dig at the university.

MD: I'm sorry. Let me begin again. It is also a pleasure to speak with you my friend, as conversation is among the greatest gifts. Since this gift was discarded by the university years ago, I always appreciate these occasions.

RW: Let me return to a question I asked you more than fifteen years ago. Why did you want to teach liberal arts?

MD: Like the apostle said of preaching, "I could not do other wise." I had this sense of calling to teaching. 

RW: Do you miss teaching? 

MD: I barely remember teaching at all. 

RW: What do you mean, you only quit last year?

MD: As I travel back in my mind, I can tell you that I remember being in inferno like meetings that lasted for hours and did little to no good for the true end of education.

RW: What is the true end of education?

MD: To lead the soul from darkness to wisdom and I worked on the factory line for years and saw little of this. When I walked around in the manner of Diogenes, with lamp in hand, I did not see it anywhere. I survived on the hope that there was somewhere, at some time, real education occurring.

RW: What went wrong?

MD: We forgot the purpose of education! Let me layout briefly what I chronicled. I taught at one school where the highest academic ranking official was a manager. He was completely ignorant of humane learning. If you employ a manager to lead academics, you may have a well organized business, but you will not have a university. Now, I understand that the trend is to hire lawyers. Obviously, boards that place lawyers in charge of academics have never read Shakespeare. 

RW: So much of the decline of education is the result of poor leadership?

MD: Once the camel gets his nose in the tent, his body will soon follow. The camel in this case is the complete confusion of what a school, college, or university is. Managers, manage. They manage people, money, and the bottom line. Lawyers are technicians of a different sort, but their limited filter also funnels in a narrow manner. The academic, when truly an academic, considers the wisdom of the ages. Effieicny, immediacy, and relavancy are consider in light of the consensure of humane learning for thousands of years, not the last fifteen minutes. Most technicians only see what is right in front of their faces and since that is always changing, so is the nature of education.

RW: So do you not think that institutions of learning should keep up with the times?

MD: Absolutely not! If and when places of authentic learning do what they are supposed to be then they become timeless and continuously relevant. 

RW: What do you mean?

MD: 

RW: What about today's students?

MD: Since human nature has not changed from the beginning, in many ways students are today what they have always been. In short, teachable  However, the modern moment has placed some astonishing obstacles before those who desire to know. The distractions offered to the modern student, and many come from the administrations of schools, are daunting. I stronly suspect that these distractions are crippling. What this means




Popular posts from this blog

My Interview with William James on the New Atheists

      Ok , I begin with a disclaimer. This is not an actual interview in the technical sense. Since William James passed from this world in 1910, many decades before I was even born, it is not possible that I interviewed him. However, here is what really did happen. After spending the last few months pouring over key books by Professor James, it caught up with my unconscious mind and I did indeed dream that I met him and we talked. The following is an imagined conversation based on significant engagement with some of his writings and an unusual dream.  Robert Woods: This is a most unexpected honor to meet you Dr. James and be able to ask you some questions about some things you have written. William James: My pleasure. I am glad to discover that some are still reading my writings. Woods: I think what most impresses me about your education is that you are a philosopher and psychologist, but were trained as a physician which gives you an extraordinary advantage over some who

Accepting the Invitation to the Great Conversation Extended by Mortimer Adler and Robert Hutchins

     If I think about it, I am saddened that I received the invitation later in life.  I wish I had received and accepted the invitation in High School, or college, or certainly graduate school.  It was not all my fault, I was not told about the invitation until about twelve years ago.  Since that time, I have invited hundreds and hope to invite many more.      What is The Great Conversation ? The actual wording I am most familiar with comes through the writings and lives of Mortimer Adler and Robert Hutchins.  Since the 1960's those two men and a handful of others fought valiantly against social and cultural trends that would all but be the end of the Great Tradition, the Great Books, and the Great Conversation.  While things have gotten considerably worse since these intellectual warriors declared a strategy of intellectual health, there are loving resistance fighters and pockets of resistance found here and there.         Robert Hutchins, "Until lately the west has rega

How Twitter Killed Tolstoy or Why You Will Likely Not Finish this Blog

     My favorite fictional Professor, aptly described the end of learning. Faber, tells how his class went from Sven Birkerts The Gutenberg Elegies: The Fate of Reading in an Electronic Age The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction Alan Jacobs Slow Reading in a Hurried Age David Mikics Words Onscreen: The Fate of Reading in a Digital Age Naimi S. Baron My own experience parallels that of Professor Faber. With declining Liberal Arts majors and distracted Great Books students.... Our lives have become as thin as the thinnest flat screen TV. There is a hollowness to our public discourses and our private conversations. It is not surprising how the tone, texture, and content of our verbal exchanges mimic posts on our dominate social media or the headline stories Of course, the title of this blog could have been any of the following: How Instagram Killed How Vine Killed How Facebook Killed How Google+ Killed How LinkedIn Killed